Who the hell do I think I am?

"Who do you think you are?!?" If I only had a penny for every time I've heard that! But seriously, who am I to dole out my commentary and opinions? Well, besides being a pretty bossy broad, I have a pretty unique background as a career gypsy, and not many people can say that! I am a Cuban-Colombian American who was raised in a very traditional Hispanic household, was a full fledges administrative assistant by age 12, had my first job outside of the home a few years later and in addition to being a marketer, I have:
- Been a retail buyer: Try not to pay full price for anything!
- Modeled: Looks are very deceiving!
- Worked as a wardrobe stylist: Just because it's in your size does not mean you should put it on!
- Worked in the travel industry as a Product manager for a tour operator, and a hotelier: Travel people, it makes you appreciate your home more.
- A mother who's an estheticienne and thanks to her teachings and genes, so far so good!

So there. Read on. Use what you like. Laugh when you want. Think what you want, but come back because the next post may be what you needed to hear!

With much tough love,
me

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Let them be girls!

It amazes me that despite the fact that we all want the best for our kids, that we worry about body image with our daughters, eating right, etc., yet I have yet to see anyone comment on the fact that little girls clothes are basically womens clothes, worse yet, hoochie mama clothes...but smaller.

Perhaps I'm not reading or in touch with the right people, but really, as a mother of a 4 year old girl, that practically bought her nothing when she hit size 6 because it seems that everything was too revealing or too grown up.  Ok, not everything but damn near everything.  Seriously, I practically stopped buying her clothes.  Why would a 4 year old, or even a 9 year old need a backless halter?  Or a shirt with faux necklaces?  Or a faux wrap that accentuates their...bosom!?!?  Really, what the hell are we allowing kids clothing manufacturers to tell our little girls?  We move a step forward with campaigns embracing all body type's like Dove's, but then manufacturers are creating little girls clothes that I would not wear, nor do I plan to let my daughter wear at age 18, and I'll be damned if I'm getting it for her now.

Here's the disclaimer, I'm not a prude, I love fashion (seriously, high end editorial nothing's practical you better be a size 0 fashion), I want to look nice, and I want my daughter to look nice, be comfortable, but I want her to look like A GIRL!  I don't want any free fucking lip gloss with her $70 shoes!  I don't want anything off the shoulder!  In a day and age where I worry about human trafficking, sexual predators, pedophiles and crazies in general, plus the fact that she is tall for her age, I DON'T NEED MY CHILD TO LOOK ANY OLDER THAN SHE IS.

There is plenty of time for fights over mini-skirts and ripped jeans and too tight or too suggestive clothes, that's called her teen years.  I'm not going to deprive myself of that rite of passage by dressing her up as a totstitute?!  If I embrace it and teach her to embrace it now, what am I going to complain about later?  Ladies, speak out on this subject and let your voices count.  LET LITTLE GIRLS LOOK LIKE LITTLE GIRLS!

If anyone knows of any group that speaks to this subject, please let me know!!

1 comment:

Striving Bean said...

I am right there with you! I can't bear to let my 6 year old daughter wear clothes that are too grown up.

Things I do to avoid these clothes:
- avoid malls as much as practical (try dept. stores instead because there are fewer opportunities for those too mature clothes)
- shop kid's consignment and thrift stores (be picky)
- shop online and present my daughter with a few choices

P.S. My mother used to forbid me from wearing black, saying it was "too grown up". I haven't carried on that tradition :-)

Micaela
Striving Bean: http://strivingbean.com