Who the hell do I think I am?

"Who do you think you are?!?" If I only had a penny for every time I've heard that! But seriously, who am I to dole out my commentary and opinions? Well, besides being a pretty bossy broad, I have a pretty unique background as a career gypsy, and not many people can say that! I am a Cuban-Colombian American who was raised in a very traditional Hispanic household, was a full fledges administrative assistant by age 12, had my first job outside of the home a few years later and in addition to being a marketer, I have:
- Been a retail buyer: Try not to pay full price for anything!
- Modeled: Looks are very deceiving!
- Worked as a wardrobe stylist: Just because it's in your size does not mean you should put it on!
- Worked in the travel industry as a Product manager for a tour operator, and a hotelier: Travel people, it makes you appreciate your home more.
- A mother who's an estheticienne and thanks to her teachings and genes, so far so good!

So there. Read on. Use what you like. Laugh when you want. Think what you want, but come back because the next post may be what you needed to hear!

With much tough love,
me

Friday, June 11, 2010

One of the things that I do...

One of the things that I do in an effort to keep my mind from atrophying and generating income is that I work as a personal assistant for an art curator a couple of days a week. It's frankly fascinating to be part of history. I don't know about you, but how many of you have stood witness to endless archives written by the hand of a great artist? The stories, the fights, the passion. Too bad I missed it all, and now I just type. But the curator is great. A very kind person, but not too kind, not a pushover, equal parts kind, generous, judgmental and demanding. Actually, very much like my parents!

I'm first generation American, and although I appreciate this country and the freedoms given to us (freedom of speech, individuality, etc), I also believe that many of these freedoms are "illusions" and that we get so caught up with the celebrity rags (no offense to them, but who cares what they wear? where they eat? I have bills to pay!!), with all the materialistic things waved endlessly in our faces that we don't realize what's really going on. Politics are "too confusing", our nation has the worst education system (most adults read at a 6th grade level), everything is dumbed-down because of the majority...the majority of what? Idiots? News is a joke, journalists are far and few between, all these freedoms and so few of us actually do anything worthwhile with them, myself included. Anyway, as 1st gen, I was raised to obey (in this order) God's law, my parent's laws and everything else, and although I hated it then, it taught me to work a little harder, to do a little better, to shake things off and as a parent I hope to do the same for my kids. Life isn't easy, but it sure can suck when you expect everything on a silver platter! Not that I don't enjoy perks every now and then - I was pulled over just the other day for running a red light and was given just a warning - and since it was an unexpected, but greatly appreciated perk, it really made my day!!

So the point of this blog?
  • The curator is cool (in an old school, respectable, learn from them way) and I am grateful to experience this chapter of my life.
  • We American's really need to make some fundamental changes.
  • I try not to take things for granted and teach my kids to appreciate things.
Now, is this how a blog is supposed to go? I have no idea, but it sure felt nice to get that all of my chest :)


No comments: